Friday, September 29, 2023 / by Ryan De La Uz
Piscataway is a township located in Middlesex County, New Jersey, within the Garden State. It is home to Rutgers University, one of the top universities in the country. Piscataway is also known for its diverse community and rich history. In this guide, we will explore the top attractions, best places to eat, and outdoor activities in Piscataway, NJ, as well as nearby landmarks in Middlesex County.
Top Attractions in Piscataway, NJ
- Rutgers University: Take a tour of the sprawling campus of Rutgers University, which is home to over 50,000 students. Learn about the university's rich history, academic programs, and student life.
- Colonial Park: Visit Colonial Park, which covers over 150 acres of land and offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking trails, picnic areas, and gardens. Don't miss the beautiful arboretum, which features over 700 species of trees and shrubs.
- Circle Playhouse: Catch a show at the Circle Playhouse, a local theater that has been entertaining audiences for over 60 years. The theater presents a variety of productions, including dramas, comedies, and musicals.
- East Jersey Olde Towne Village: Step back in time at East Jersey Olde Towne Village, a living history museum that showcases life in colonial New Jersey. Explore the village's historic buildings and learn about the daily life of early settlers.
Best Places to Eat in Piscataway, NJ
- E&M Catering: This family-owned and operated restaurant offers authentic Portuguese cuisine, including delicious seafood dishes and grilled meats.
- Destination Dogs: If you're looking for a unique dining experience, head to Destination Dogs, which serves up creative hot dogs from around the world, as well as tasty sides and craft beers.
- Pho Today: For a comforting bowl of pho, check out Pho Today, a Vietnamese restaurant that serves up steaming bowls of flavorful soup, as well as other traditional dishes.
- Harold's New York Deli: This iconic deli serves up oversized sandwiches and classic Jewish deli fare, including matzo ball soup, corned beef, and pastrami.
Rutgers University is a sprawling university located in Piscataway, NJ. The university has a rich history dating back to 1766, and is known for its excellent academic programs, research initiatives, and diverse student body. Visitors can take a guided tour of the campus, which includes stops at historic buildings, academic departments, and recreational facilities.
Colonial Park is a large park located in Piscataway, NJ, which offers a variety of outdoor activities. The park includes hiking trails, picnic areas, sports fields, and a beautiful arboretum with over 700 species of trees and shrubs. Visitors can also enjoy the park's gardens, which feature a wide variety of flowers and plants.
Outdoor Activities in Piscataway, NJ
In addition to Colonial Park, there are plenty of other outdoor activities to enjoy in Piscataway, NJ. Visitors can explore the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, go fishing or boating on the Raritan River, or play a round of golf at one of the area's many golf courses.
Exploring Middlesex County
Piscataway is just one of the many destinations worth visiting in Middlesex County. Visitors can explore the historic city of New Brunswick, which is home to the State Theatre and a vibrant downtown area, or head to the charming town of Metuchen, which features a variety of boutique shops and restaurants. Other nearby attractions include the Middlesex County Greenway, the Edison Tower, and the Zimmerli Art Museum.
Whether you're interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying delicious food, Piscataway, NJ has something for everyone. From the sprawling campus of Rutgers University to the beautiful Colonial Park and beyond, there's plenty to explore in this vibrant township located in the heart of Middlesex County.